Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Collage Card: Joy is Yours

Hey guys!

Today I'm bringing you a card I made this weekend! I wasn't actually planning on making this card so soon (I've got a list of trends I want to cover soon here) but then this weekend, I was in my dorm room, and I was just really in the mood for some crafting


I 'm really into this collaging look right now!
 So this week, I've combined two really hot trends in cardmaking right now: collaging and chalkboards.

I really dug deep into my stash of randomness to pull out some of the stuff I have in here. Some of these elements are created with regular stamps and scrapbooking paper, but I pulled a feather out of my stash that I got from a jewelry making class I took about a year ago. I always planned on turning it into an earring or something, but I'm pretty happy with how this worked out. 

The other unusual element here is that sort of kraft-colored strip of paper running underneath the tag. That's actually an unused twist-tie, like the kind you get at grocery stores. A while ago, I stashed that away, thinking it would look really cool.

So today I'm going to talk about Collaging, but check back tomorrow for a explanation for how I created the faux chalkboard look! 

Collaging

This is crazy trending right now. For example Kristina Werner just did a card in her latest post with this sort of look.
And Emily Branch, of Emily Branch Designs does this all the time in her cards too:
Check this card out at her website.
You'll notice that many of these designs often use a lot of horizontal elements. Because cards are such a small canvas to be working on, stacking and overlapping strips of elements makes the collage easier to handle so it doesn't have to take over the entire cardfront.

Then, to break up the visual monotony of a lot of stripes, you can place individual, smaller elements on top of the strips of paper or ribbon.

I think another really good example of accenting stripes with smaller elements to create a collage is Emily's card that she made for a Spread the Love color scheme challenge.
Check out Emily's post here.
Oh, I just love collages. I know my obsession is NOT over yet!

Don't forget to keep an eye out for my explanation of the chalkboard effect I did!


Antonia


Supplies


Provocraft Trimmer
Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue
Tombow Adhesive Runner
EK Success CutterBee Scissors
Paper: Colorbök Cool Earth Tones paper (Teal & Dark Gray); Recollections Kraft, Cream & Gray, 
Found Objects: Feather, Twist Tie
Stamp Sets: Hero Arts Clear Design: Everyday Sayings, TPC Studio Hot Air Balloon Collage, American Crafts Stamp Collection: Thanks, Recollections stamp set watches and keys
Punches:Single Hole Punch (1/4 inch), Single Hole Punch (1/8 inch), Marvy Uchida 3/4 inch punch, EK Success Small Butterfly Punch
Recollections Faux Pearl Stickers
Inks: VersaMark, Versafine in Onyx Black, Distress Ink in tea dye, and Colorbox Chalk ink in Charcoal and Colorbox Pigment Ink in Frost White
Inksentials Foam Blending Tool & a baby wipe 

No comments:

Post a Comment